Linings Sanded Flush

2013-05-29

Today was a fairly light day in the shop. I laid out a large roll of sandpaper on my side bench and clamped the ends. Then I ran each instrument carcass over it until the linings and ribs were flush. Using a scraper and sandpaper, I cleaned up the ribs to ensure that there was no stray glue on the surface.

The bass bar on the Sinister didn't take long to trim to shape. A light sanding finished it off.

I updated my instrument labels last night with my new location. Using thin hide glue, I applied one to each instrument. For the Sinister, I aligned it in reverse, to show up under the G-string side of the instrument, which of course is the right in this case.

I now have the final weights and mode measurements for both instruments.

Instrument Weight Belly (Top) Weight Back Mode 2 Belly Mode 5 Belly Mode 2 Back Mode 5 Back
Ashley (7) 84 g 156 g C3 (132 Hz) G#3 (209 Hz) B2 (121 Hz) B3 (251 Hz)
Sinister (8) 74 g 116 g D3 (147 Hz) D#4 (314 Hz) D#3 (156 Hz) E4 (327 Hz)

 

These figures (at least for the Sinister) indicate that the instrument will probably be ideal for a smaller room, with easy bowing. For Ashley's, I have no idea what the numbers signify. If they were for a viola, they would probably also indicate a friendly, intimate instrument. Neither is likely to be ideal for solos on a concert stage.