Purfling Grooves Cut

2013-06-12

This past week has been busy with other things, so I finally returned to the fiddles today. I had removed the clamps a week ago. Today I cleaned up the overhangs of the top and bottom plates. I used a disc sander, a small drum sander, and a sanding stick. The overhangs aren`t consistent, but they are more so than right after gluing on the plates.

Then I set up the dedicated purfling router. It is now attached to a left-over pine board which I can clamp to a workbench. The actual routing didn`t take long. The cleanup of the grooves with a folded piece of sandpaper took longer. The router can`t get at the `C`bout points or at the button, so those will have to be sketched in and done by hand with a small chisel.