Seventh coat varnish

2016-07-09

The weather has been cool and rainy, but there was one hot sunny day in which I had the fiddles hanging out for a few hours. This morning I gave them both a careful and full sanding. The varnish had thickened quite a bit, so I diluted it with the turpentine which I had been using for cleaning the brushes. It went on well, but despite the humidity started drying quite quickly. I made sure not to have any dribbles.

This is the last coat for the Sinister, Ashley's will get one more. It won't be a true black, but quite dark to the point where perhaps some of the wood grain will be difficult to see. I think this is almost as dark as I can make it without losing too much of the bird's eye maple effect.