Header image with 5 fiddles

Fitting first Bass Bar


The last few days I cleaned up the insides of Ashley's top and bottom plates. This afternoon I fitted the bass bar. I did an approximate fit by eye, then used carbon paper to find the high spots. After many iterations of rubbing and sanding, the fit is almost perfect.

I had also downloaded Audacity, an audio recording and analysis application, onto an old Thinkpad laptop. This program analyses sound waves and does a Fourier Transform on them. This shows the resonant frequencies. I have never been very good at judging tap tones, this software not only makes this task easy, it also shows the various modes quite clearly.

Once the bass bar is glued and trimmed, I will measure the frequencies and final weights.